I'm a big lover of tomato soup - it's delicious and doesn't take much time. I loved when I Nana made it for my brother and me when we stayed with her. This is a simple and easy Mary Berry recipe from her book: 'Foolproof Cooking'. If I'm honest I didn't think it was going to taste of much but I will happily admit I was wrong - it's very flavourful and tasty.
Ingredients (for the soup):
6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp caster sugar
150ml full-fat milk
150ml double cream
3-4 tsp fresh basil pesto
salt and pepper
1. Set a large, deep pan over a medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil from the sun-dried tomatoes. Add the garlic and stir-fry for a few seconds.
2. Tip the sun-dried tomatoes and tinned tomatoes, add the stock and sugar and bring to the boil, stirring all the while. Season with salt and pepper, then cover with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and, using a hand blender, blitz the soup in the pan. Stir in the milk and cream and check the seasoning before heating through on the hob.
4. Serve hot with 1/2 teaspoon of basil pesto swirled on the top of each bowl of soup.
You can stop here and just serve the soup but I liked the idea of pesto with tomato soup so I found a simple and easy recipe on the Food Network's website. You can find them HERE.
Ingredients (for the pesto):
2 cups packed basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Combine the basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
2. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. If using immediately, add the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and add the cheese and mix together.
Let me know what you think in the comments below. If you want something quick and easy and tasty then this is something you need to try!!