Hey everyone :)
I love a good chocolate cupcake! I also go through moods of enjoying the odd bit of dark chocolate so when I saw this recipe had dark chocolate in the cupcake and the icing - I thought I'd give it a try. This is another one of Cupcake Jemma's recipes so I am excited to try it seen as the first one turned out so well!
Ingredients (for the cupcakes):
150g dark chocolate (70%)
350g plain flour
60g cocoa powder
370g caster sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
3 large free-range eggs
240ml coffee, cooled
210ml vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/350°F/Gas 4 and line 2 cupcake/muffin trays with 24 cases.
2. Finely chop the chocolate (this is best done in the food processor), then tip into a large bowl and stir in the dry ingredients and 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt.
3. Whisk the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl with an electric mixer (I prefer the free-standing type), then gradually add the dry ingredients, whisking until all smooth.
4. Transfer the mixture to a small jug (you'll need to do it in batches), and carefully fill the paper cases just over two-thirds full.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until they spring back when touched.
6. Leave to cool, transferring to a wire cooling rack after 5 minutes.
Ingredients (for the buttercream icing):
180g dark chocolate (70%)
300g unsalted butter, softened
540g icing sugar
4 tablespoons whole milk
1. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the base doesn't touch the water, then leave to cool for 5 to 10 minutes - the bowl should be just cool enough to handle.
2. Meanwhile, beat the butter with an electric mixer for 5 minutes, or until pale and smooth. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, then add to the butter in two stages, beating well between each.
3. Gradually add the milk and beat for a further 5 minutes or until well combined.
4. Pour in the melted chocolate bit by bit, mixing as you go, then beat for a couple of minutes or until the icing is a rich, even chocolate-brown colour.
5. Once the cupcakes are cool, decorate them with the icing and enjoy.
Let me know what you think in the comments below.!!