I love simple and easy dishes - especially desserts! When I saw this on a television program a few weeks ago I simply had to add it to my 'i need to make this' list.
In the original recipe the meringue was sprinkled with cinnamon before baking but I have left this step out as I just didn't fancy cinnamon that day.
280g golden caster sugar
6 free-range eggs, whites only
pinch of cinnamon (optional)
350g raspberries (1 punnet will do)
100g dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C / 275°F / GM1.
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper and sprinkle the sugar over the top and pop it in the oven for 5-10 minutes until its warm to the touch.
3. Put the egg whites into a mixing bowl and mix on slow until small bubbles form, then put the speed up to full and wait for stiff peaks to form.
4. Start spooning the sugar in - tablespoon by tablespoon ... slowly until you have a glossy, shiny, stiff egg white.
5. Line another tray with baking paper.
6. Spoon mounds of the egg white onto the baking tray in rough shapes approximately the size of a tennis ball. (Optional: Sprinkle them with cinnamon now)
7. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
8. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
9. When the meringues are cooked, flatten the tops down. Evenly distribute the raspberries on top of each one.
10. With a spoon, trickle the melted chocolate over the meringues and leave to cool until the chocolate is solid before serving.
These are so quick and easy to make and such a great dessert ... let me know in the comments below what you think!