I used to hate coffee ... I thought it was horrible. Then one day I tried Dave's Starbucks coffee frappuccino and it was okay - I just didn't like that bitter taste of coffee though. Someone then suggested trying the 'caramel coffee frappuccino' as the sweetness of the caramel helps mask the bitter taste of the coffee and low and behold I fell it love! I then thought well if I like coffee, caramel and ice in a cold drink then surely I'd like it hot too! I don't hate coffee anymore ...
Moving on ... I wanted to theme my cupcake with a hint of coffee this week. I did attempt a coffee cake but I burnt it :(
110g self-raising flour, sifted
110g margarine, soft
110g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
pinch of salt
1 tbsp instant coffee
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Line a cupcake tray with 12 cases
3. In a little dish dissolve the coffee with a tbsp of warm water (doesn't have to be boiling as long as its hot enough to dissolve the coffee). Set to one side.
4. In a mixer bowl add all the ingredients including the dissolved coffee you made.
5. Mix on a low speed to start so it doesn't blow up in your face, then move up to medium for a minute or so or until the mixture is creamy smooth.
6. Divide the mixture between the cases.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Let them cool on a wire rack.
100g butter, soft
200g icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp instant coffee (dissolved in hot water)
Optional: If mixture is too stiff use a tbsp of milk
1. In a mixing bowl cream the butter and add half the icing sugar. Beat for a minute or two until all incorporated.
2. Repeat last step with last half of icing sugar and again beat for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the dissolved coffee and mix until incorporated.
4. Then using a piping bag (or a spoon) decorate your cupcakes. I went with a piping bag and a round nozzle.
Don't these look amazing! I managed to get the balance of coffee just right so it wasn't too weak and it wasn't too strong! At the start of the blog I talked about my love for 'caramel coffee' fraps so hopefully my next coffee inspired coffee cupcake will incorportate a caramel element to it!
Let me know if the comments below if a coffee cupcake appeals to you! Hope you all had a good weekend! I'm so hot!